Tuesday, January 8, 2013

valentine's day has arrived here

Yesterday we had to take Evan to his 4 year old checkup, which he has a tendency to get worried about getting shots at the doctors {it probably doesn't help that big brother constantly is talking about shots on the way there}...so what does any good mom do to make sure your child behaves at the doctors...that's right you bribe them :).  I told them I  that we would go to the dollar store after the doctor if they were good.  That's all it takes...they were good and luckily we didn't need any shots either.  At our trip to the dollar store they saw all the Valentine decorations out and asked if we could get ours out. Since we just came out of the big Christmas extravaganza my kids were expecting something BIG.  I didn't really have any decorations and I am not going to go out and spend lots of money either.  I decided to go with what the dollar store offered and create a little mantle display for very little money.  I included some Pinterest inspired ideas and some of my kids own crafts.  It's nothing special, but my kids love it and that's all that matters right!?

{the kids liked the added lights touch the best...the heart felt garland was from the dollar store and so cute and cheap!} 

{from dollar store = red heart vase, glass heart votive, red and white votive candles, heart sticks}

{from dollar store = glass candle holder, red potpourri, red candle, ribbon...I had leftover white lights from my wedding and added the ribbon to it randomly}

{the heart boxes my boys made me last year at a free Home Depot kids clinic}

 {these mason jars with doilies are all over Pinterest...instead of just wrapping them on there with the string I used mod podge to seal it to the glass...then I put some heart shaped "picks" from the dollar store in them}

{the red felt heart is from the dollar store and the heart pendant was just scrapbook paper I cut out with my cricut}

{then this is the dining room table...a heart candle I was given years ago, with the potpourri and a dollar store plate with a dollar store candle stick I turned into a cake stand...if you haven't tried this idea from Pinterest it is so easy and so much cheaper then buying a cake stand!}

That's it...nothing fancy, but it works and for CHEAP!  I spent a total of $13 + a few items I already had around the house!

2 comments:

Jennifer Johnson said...

Very cute! I still have Christmas to clean up when we get home, then I can think about V-day! :) Looking forward to seeing you Thursday!

Unknown said...

Thanks! I feel like you have been gone forever :)...I missed you today and can't wait to see you Thursday!!!