Wednesday, April 10, 2013

springtime centerpiece

Yeah it's springtime!  Well, it is only in the 40s today, but we have signs of spring around here like buds on trees, grass growing, garden planted, frogs croaking in our pond {I must do another post about this because it is quite something every year} so I wanted to make a springtime decoration to go on my dining room table.  Like I have said before, I am cheap, so I didn't want to spend $$ on it!  Therefore, here's a table centerpiece I created for $9 total!  Most of the items come from Dollar Tree, my second favorite store :)...only running up to here.


What I used:

Bamboo Placemat (pack of 4 from Targets $1 Spot a while back)
Vase (from Savers...similar to Goodwill...found for $4)
1/2 bag of Spanish Moss (Dollar Tree)
1 bag of small variety of Styrofoam balls (Dollar Tree)
Decorative Bird (Dollar Tree)
1 bag of Reindeer Moss (Dollar Tree...leftover from this project)

{I only used about half the supplies I got}



First, I filled the vase thingy {is that what you call it?} with Spanish moss.  


Then I needed something to adhere the moss to the Styrofoam balls.  I first tried my adhesive spray...it didn't work at all...


So I got out my trusty glue gun.  I knew it would melt the balls a little with the heat, but it actually worked great.  I must say I LOVE my glue gun and use it for almost everything!  Yes, it does burn me every time and I do actually have a permanent scar from it, but it just works so darn well!  I used to use it to hang up everything on my walls in my classroom...a laminated poster on a concrete brick wall stays great with a glue gun!  Also, you must splurge the extra money and buy cordless...so much easier!


The moss did start sticking to my hand and it was pretty messy, but I found the best technique was to put a little glue on it roll it in the moss then repeat on the other sides.


Just keep gluing the moss on until it fills all the sides and holes.  I mashed it a little on there too.


Arrange your balls and bird in vase and there's your finished project.  It took less then 15 minutes to do!


Happy Spring!


No comments: