Wednesday, March 6, 2013

my love for aldi

We interrupt this regular program about the superheroes and princess to talk about my other love...Aldi...yes the grocery store, Aldi! 

I am a big dork, but I love that store!  I have been thinking more about my love for it since reading this blog post.  I totally agree with all her points...especially with her love for the $0.99 pineapples {but they seem to be more like $1.29 now, but still a great price}! 

Here's the top reasons why I love to shop there:

1.  There seems to always be one very close to where I am going...there are 3 within a circumference of my house.

2.  It's small.  I can get in and out of there with 3 kiddos with a week's worth of groceries in 20 minutes.  No joke I have timed it!
{This all was bought in 20 minutes!  And for only $122...including tons of produce and meat!}

3.  There's no marketing to try to get you to buy things that really aren't good for you.
{Less for these kiddos to "see" and claim that they "NEED"!}

4.  Their PRODUCE!  It's cheap and good, so we buy more and eat healthier!  {A tip about veggies...roast them in the oven...they are SO good and your kiddos with LOVE them.}

5.  There's not a lot of candy and no toys at the checkouts to make your kiddos whine for things.  But they are so fast at checkout that your kids don't have to stand there long anyways!
{There are tons of healthy snack choices for the kiddos...we love the fruit strips!}

6.  They are consistently lower on almost every item then other places without having to use coupons.  I have tried the "coupon game" and yes there are great deals, but it is SO time consuming!

7.  Milk is cheap.  No, it's not as cheap as it was this summer, but still like a buck cheaper then almost everywhere else...and when you buy 6 gallons a week that matters!

8.  They have my favorite granola cereal without raisins ..that's hard to find other places...and it's only $1.99!
{We actually love all their cereal...we go through a lot}

9.  Their weekly specials are good and they often get me to try things I haven't before like gnocchi.  And they are coming out with a lot of organic cheap items too that we love.    {After all, they are from the same company that makes Trader Joes, but I still find that place too expensive and small quantities for what I need.}
{Like the sweet potato chips in the picture that I have 4 bags of because they were reduced down to $0.99 each!}

10.  And yes the cheap pineapples.  For a person who used to not like pineapples...I now love them!

So most of my points involve how they are cheap...yes I love my deals and am pretty frugal {I think Ryan would disagree about this, but he is the most frugal person ever...well unless it comes to electronics ;)}, but the stuff is just good and I haven't come across anything I don't like!  {I think Aldi should be paying me for these rave reviews ;).}  Yes, I have to go shopping other places for Diet Coke and JIF peanut butter...there is no substitute for those two things, but everything else I can pretty much get there!

Here's a couple of tips for shopping there:
1.  Always keep a quarter in your car just for shopping at Aldi...for the grocery cart.  It's not good to get there and not have one!
2.  If you have kiddos I would suggest putting your stuff in the bags out at your car.  This way the kiddos can be buckled up and contained :) while you are trying to bag everything!

Okay that's enough about Aldi, but if you have never tried them...you should!


4 comments:

Our Plain Life said...

I JUST went there today! I am a very new convert (today was my 3rd time going ever) because I am really working on cutting back on my monthly grocery costs. I went in with two lists...one for Aldi and one for HyVee. I was crossing off stuff that I was going to get at HyVee because I was finding it at Aldi for so much cheaper. I still get my milk from Costco (only about $2.70 a gallon). Thanks for this post!

Connie said...

Chad shops at Aldi's all the time too. I should but I'm afraid I'm just not in the habit.
You certainly got a lot of food for only $122.00.
As we use to say when you kids were little, "Good Job" lol
(Thanks for the bed)

Unknown said...

Yeah! It took me awhile to trust that everything was going to taste as good...but seriously I haven't found anything that I don't like or that isn't similar to the generic at the grocery store. Some other loves there that I forgot to mention is the $0.99 package of tortillas and cheap, good bread! We do have a Sam's club membership and buy milk there when we are there, but sometimes it's just easier to buy it all at Aldi and I think Sam's price is almost Aldi's price now. You should have been there this summer when Aldi had milk for $1.99! Those were the days :). Good luck!

Unknown said...

I am sure you will have a whole room set up for that bed in no time ;).