Tuesday, April 16, 2013

my life as a "runner"

Yesterday was a sad day.  My heart breaks for those runners, the friends and family who came out to support a loved one, and the heartfelt spectators who were there just to encourage a complete stranger as they reached a tremendous goal!  It's sad that the day will have to be remembered as tragedy instead of a joyous day for all those people.

I don't normally consider myself a "runner".  Yes, I have been running a lot lately and have been in several races through the course of the year, but it is still hard for me to call myself one because I can honestly say I wasn't one before this year.  After yesterday, however, I feel more like calling myself one after you hear of all the strength and support fellow runners did for each other and the injured {like giving blood just after completing a marathon!}.  I feel like this is a good quote to sum up how I feel:


So I will keep running!  I will not let a few evil people control me because I have faith in God and believe He will get me through this.  Running is a sport which bring tremendous accomplishment and I know I couldn't do it without my God. I believe running has brought me closer to God because I constantly pray to Him to bring me strength while running.  Therefore, I can't stop running now and lose my time with Him!  

I love these bible verses I found on Pinterest.  They are written as a way to show God's love for you and to motivate you through a marathon {or 3 miles, or 5, or 13.1 because I know I will never do a full marathon!}.  So on Saturday this is what I will be thinking about:
Mile 1: Be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of age. Matthew 28:20
Mile 2: The Lord will work out his plans for my life. Psalm 138:8
Mile 3: I tell you the truth, if you had faith even as small as the mustard seed, you could say to this mountain, “Move from here to there,” and it would move. Nothing would be impossible. Matthew 17:20
Mile 4: To those who use well what they are given, even more will be given. Luke 19:26
Mile 5: I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength. Philippians 4:13
Mile 6: Faith is the confidence that what we hope for will actually happen; it gives us assurance about things we can not see. Hebrews 11:1
Mile 7: ‘I know the plans I have for you,’ says the Lord. ‘They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and hope.’ Jeremiah 29:11
Mile 8: Be an example to all believers in what you say, in the way you live, in your love, your faith, and your purity. I Timothy 4:12
Mile 9: We know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them. Romans 8:28
Mile 10: Let us run with endurance the race God has set before us. Hebrews 12:1
Mile 11: Commit everything you do to the Lord. Trust him, and he will help you. Psalm 37:5
Mile 12: With God’s help we will do mighty things. Psalm 60:12
Mile 13: We can rejoice, too, when we run into problems and trials, for we know that they help us develop endurance. Romans 5:3

I WILL not let the evil in this world get me down.  I WILL have a joyous experience because I have been thinking about this day for 6 months and have prepared AND prepared for it!

16 weeks worth of preparing without skipping one training session!!!

 A year ago almost exactly {I began doing the couch to 5k program last March} I began this running journey.  I couldn't even complete one mile without walking part of the time and feeling like I was going to die.  But from some encouragement from Ryan, my family, and some great friends I decided to sign up for my first 5k race in May 2012.  I was never a runner and really didn't know if I was going to make it through.  But those great friends ran with me and encouraged me the next two months and on Mother's Day May 2012 I completed my first 5k!  And "RAN" the entire thing!  No, I was not FAST at all, but I completed it!

I was hooked.  I LOVED the sense of accomplishment!  I kept running.  I got up early before Ryan left for work, ran with friends after the kiddos went to bed, spent early weekend mornings running with friends on local trails, ran with Ryan and the kiddos to local parks.  I spent A LOT of time running.  I signed up for more races.

June 2012 I completed my second 5k...with my best PR 5k time yet with the BEST running buddy!

August 2012 I raced for the cure for some very important people in my life and Ryan "helped" me get up those HILLS {more like pushing me up them!}.  Thanks honey!

What would running be like without great friends!?


Then in September 2012 I set a HUGE goal for myself.  I was determined to up my distance and complete a 10k.  It was a lofty goal, but I did it!  And it felt SO good!  No, I didn't run the whole thing, but I completed it!!!

And Avery started getting in on some kids races too ;).

October 2012 I signed up for a local race that actually ran in our neighborhood!  It was a fun time with our whole family.  Ryan actually pushed the kiddos in it!

Then I started getting my sights set on doing a half marathon...an unthinkable goal for me up until a few months ago.  Could I really do this?  I decided to do another 10k in January 2013 as preparation for a half marathon to see if I could get my distance up again.  It wasn't my favorite race and you can read more about it here.  But I got through it with the support of Ryan.

That brings us up to this Saturday.  The DAY!  It WILL happen.  I WILL complete a half marathon. 
No I will not be able to run the whole thing...
No I will not be fast...
No I will not enjoy the whole thing...
BUT
I will finish it.
I will be grateful for my support system that has gotten me to this point.
I will find joy in accomplishing such a big goal that I never would have thought possible a year ago {I would have laughed at you if you would have told me I would be doing a half marathon in a years time!}.

I will let you know how it goes ;).

2 comments:

Shelley said...

Can't wait to hear how your first half goes!!! Its an awesome feeling crossing that finish line and be prepared to have lots of emotion as you get the medal. I am planning on doing another half marathon later this year.

You have came so far in the last year and I am so glad you have such a great support system!

Jennifer Johnson said...

You are going to do awesome, girl! I am SO proud of you!!!! And reading this makes me want to run, so come on warmer weather! :)