Sunday, January 5, 2014

superheroes & skylanders in one room?

My superheroes are growing up quickly and they have kind of outgrown their little boy farm room...I am not sure when this happened??
I decided to spend the weekend turning it into their big kid superhero/skylander room {of course they couldn't agree on one theme}.

First, here's a little look at what their room looked like before.  

This room was the first room Ryan & I painted when we moved into the house.  The yellow was to match a purple & yellow bedspread I had.  This room was originally used as the guest room.  I regretted the yellow as soon as we painted it...I was looking for more of a pale yellow, but it turned out a lot brighter than I expected.  It stayed the guest room until little baby Evan came along and we moved Avery out of the nursery next door into this room.  I didn't want to repaint the room again because we just finished painting every other room of the house so we just put up the farm border and called it good.  


Evan then moved into the room with Avery when baby Ellie came along and needed the nursery.  Ryan built the barn bookshelf for the boys when they moved into the room!  It lived it's life as the farm room for 6 years.  Time for a change I guess.


When you have two kids sharing a room, they also have to share the decorations...of course my boys couldn't decide on the same room color.  Avery was adamant about it being green {his favorite color since...always}.  Evan on the other hand changes favorite colors like he does his socks...he went between gold, silver, peach {yeah I don't know who else says those are their favorite colors besides my Evan}, blue, red...  Okay so a decision had to be made.  I told Avery we would paint the walls his green, but the accent colors would be Evan's blue {I kind of persuaded him to choose this one, especially since their comforters were already blue}. 

We then got to work painting!  A big thanks to Ryan for helping me do all the painting!  Things get a little crazy when you have to get a huge bunk bed out of your way!


We got the painting done...so on to the next problem what the boys want to put in their room.  I am so over having to re-decorate every time my boys choose a new passion to love so I knew I wasn't going to include anything permanent in the room that I would have to put a lot into changing out.  Therefore, I went with removable wall stickers...so easy to put up and change!  I also love using the picture of the item in a picture frame on the wall, again easy to change {these frames used to have parts of their farm border framed up}.  Just like the paint my boys did not want to choose the same thing to put up so we went with both their choices, superheroes & skylanders.


Besides the picture frames on one wall, the only other place that has their favorite theme is by each of their beds.  That way it's not overwhelmingly a superhero/skylander room, but they are very happy because they get to see what they wanted in their own beds.




Finally, we did a little rearranging of the furniture too...it seems to give the feel of having more room this way.  I also covered up the old window seat cushion we had with the red plaid on it for the farm theme with one of our blue fitted sheets so it would match along with our new blue curtains.


Our barn bookshelf is still there...not quite ready to give up that yet...


My big boys now have their big boy room.


On to my next project...

No comments: